Re: Brakes for a TR3A

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brakes for a TR3A
From: "John T. Nichols" <jtnichol@m4.sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 18:26:13 -0400
Jeff Raymond wrote:

> I 've just purchased a 1958 TR3A and I'm going through the brake system and
> have a question before I go ordering parts.
>
> Are there 'modern' equivalents of the brake pads, both the front discs and
> the rear drums, or are the mail order companies my only source on these items?
> Praise Bob and cut me some slack...
Jeff,

The front disc brakes are not a problem. The pads available from the
major suppliers are of good quality. Discs are another matter although I
believe that The Roadster Factory has had these remanufactured--original
are scarce as hen's teeth. The rear brakes can be a problem since the
10" Girling brakes were replaced with the 9" Girlings after '58. You
might want to check your car's rear brakes to see whether they are the
original 10" Girlings or have been replaced by the later 9" Girlings.
The 10" Lockheeds as used on TR2s will not work. I was fortunate in
finding an old auto supply store in Tuscaloosa, Al, that had a couple of
boxes of 10" Girling replacement shoe sets which I bought more than 10
years ago. I don't think that I have seen the 10" Girling shoes in any
of the catalogs for quite some time. Maybe some of the suppliers have
had them remanufactured recently.

JTN
Manassas, VA
'58 TR3A TS32093L 'O'