TR-3 - Broken bracket mount - Now I've done it!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-3 - Broken bracket mount - Now I've done it!
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.znet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 21:54:35 -0700 (PDT)
   In my quest to eradicate annoying hood squeaks, I removed the Dzus
fastener bracket from the passenger side of the inner fender on my TR-3A
with no problem. Driver side was a different story.  Both bolts now turn
with more or less resistance, but will not back out.
   I'm not at all clear on what the bolts screw into.  It is either a nut
welded to the street side of the inner fender (as the good side seems to
be) or a nut dropped into the little metal housing which is welded over the
bolt hole on the street side of the inner fender.
   This must be Obvious Problem Number 2176 for all of you who have done
frame up restorations.    I, however, am clueless when it comes to rusted
bolts and stripped threads, but I think its time to learn.  Can anyone tell
me how these "nuts" are supposed to work?  I'd also appreciate suggestions
on how to proceed, what tools to buy to minimize the trauma, and what
tricks of the trade might reduce this kind of problem to the routine.
   Many thanks.
John Cowan