Re: The Red Car

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: The Red Car
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 01:05:05 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Chris Lillja wrote:

> I remember this thread coming up a few months ago... I remember
> reading a book in grade school called The Red Car. It changed my
> life... here's how it goes. Farm boy finds red car (MG TC)
> semi-wrecked in barn. He buys it against the wishes of his father. He
> fixes it up with the help of an ex-racing driver mechanic Frenchy.
> Frenchy teaches him how to drive. Farm boy goes on to win hometown
> Grand Prix. This was completely and totally cool when I was 12 yrs.
> old....
>
> Any one out there remember?

I read it some time in the 1950's and remember it well.  It was that book,
plus a neighbor who had a TC, that got me hopelessy hooked on BritCars in
general and TCs specifically.

Actually, it was Frenchy who won the race, with Farm Boy as riding
mechanic.  Farm Boy had to get his jollies by blowing off a local rodder's
Ford on twisty roads.  In the end, Frenchy gets an XK140, comes out of
retirement.

> Here's the deal - I wanna republish it -- SO many people read this
> book as kids -- when I talk about it eyes really light up...

I think it has been reprinted several times, but it isn't currently listed
in Books in Print.  Go for it!

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.