Re: Positive Camber Problem 76 Spit

To: Bob Wanta <bobsauto@iconn.net>
Subject: Re: Positive Camber Problem 76 Spit
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 10:56:49 -0400
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Bob Wanta wrote:

> Vic,
>         check the inner bolt of the suspension tower ( 4 bolts behind the
>lower
> a-frame that mount the tower to the frame and 1 bolt straight below the oil
> filter)  If the bolt below the oil filter has a shim between the tower and
> the frame, pull it out and see what your suspension looks like.  The
> factory used a 1/16 shim on occasion but if the front end has ever been
> apart (very likely) someone may have put a much bigger  shim in there.
> Take care - Bob
>
> ----------
> > From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
> > To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> > Subject: Positive Camber Problem 76 Spit
> > Date: Monday, July 14, 1997 9:48 AM
> >
> > My 76 Spitfire has a severe case of positive camber. The top of the tire
> > is leaning out further than the bottom of the tire. Using a level as a
> > rough measure, the top leans out about 3/4" over the bottom. Thats the
> > way the car has been since I bought it (classic auto auction) and I
> > don't know the previous owner..
> > The lower and upper A arms look original. The bushings are not worn or
> > loose. There is no play in anything and everything seems tight and solid
> > when you try to shake the tire when it is off the ground. The bottom
> > brackets are position properly (front and back). There is 2 shims
> > installed. Both wheels look to be out the same amount. Just a guess, but
> > I think the camber is about 5 degrees positive..
> > One mechanic has looked at it and has scratched his head on this one. It
> > would seem as though it would take a quarter inch of shim to get it back
> > to zero. I have loosened the top and bottom A arm bolts at the bushings
> > and the ball joint and re-tightened them with normal weight on the wheel
> > but this didn't help in the slightest..
> > I think that the suspension didn't change on this car through the models
> > lifespan and maybe common with the GT6 so I don't know how someone could
> > have swapped parts and got it wrong..
> > I really need some help on this one. The handling stinks..
> >
> > Vic Whitmore
> > 76 Spitfire
> > Thornhill, Ontario

Bob, my estimation of the tower is that if the bottom mount of the tower
to the frame was shimmed, it would pull the upper A-arm inward and
reduce the positive camber. I couldn't find any reference to shims in
any of the manuals or catalogs I've looked at. I think I'll check to see
if the shim is still there and may add one if missing.
Thanks for the reply.