Re: Positive Camber Problem 76 Spit

To: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Subject: Re: Positive Camber Problem 76 Spit
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 17:59:58 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Vic,

Sounds like a problem one of our members had about a year ago. He bought
a Spit in great shape and drove it to one of our events. By the time he
got there, he was down to the steel cord on an almost new set of tires.
We tried swapping out with another pair of springs/shocks that I had in
my garage, with no change. I think he called Dave at TRF, and it turns
out there are indeed two different springs. I'm not sure where the
date break came. Apparently TRF sold him another set of springs and he
was good to go. Your DPO may have also installed a set of GT6 springs.

As an alternative plan, Vicky Brit sells a harder, but shorter spring for
about $55 per pair. Your ride will definately get a little harsher, but
your roll rate will drop and handling will improve.

As an in between, you can take your stock springs and cut out about two
turns. You'll need to gently heat (propane torch to dull orange) the cut
end and squeeze (big pair of Channel Locks) it down flat. A little
grinding to accomplish the final flat will also help. What that will give
you is a shorter, but slightly stronger spring--from about 150 lb. rate
to about 200 lb. rate. Shorter springs will bring the camber back into
line.

Good luck,
Charlie B.
Spitfire Pilot