Re: Wire modifications

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wire modifications
From: dsimpson@ds2.ncweb.com (david r simpson)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 19:40:41 -0400 (EDT)
>Hello all,
>
>Just a quick question today.   Considering the poor quality of the wires
>I ordered from Vicky Brit, I have decided to send them back and have them
>credit my card.  My question is:  Can I go to an automotive store, order
>standard, good quality, longer wires, cut them to size and insert then
>into the distributer cap?
>My cap has little set screws that screw in from the underside and pierce
>the wire in order to provide contact.
>
>Ideally, this is the way to go.  I justy don't know if common brand wires
>would be compatible.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Alan Camhi
>65 TR4

I would like to add a few questions of my own.  I once remember
something about changing the gap on spark plus to ?? when changing
a car over to electronic ignition/high energy (40K volt coils) from
standard points & standard voltage coils.  Does the change in voltage
affect the gap & spark length, any comments?   Also what is the deal
with resitor plugs and the high resistance in the spark plug wires.
I guess you need a certain amount of resistance to limit the amp or
you will burn up the plugs. You want high voltage drop with a limited
flow of amps right??   Do you need to match the resistane of the plugs
& wires. I am running a Crane X700 electronic ignition, with their
40K volt coil, 10 ohm wires and  Champion l-87Y plugs in a TR3.  The
spark just does not impress me as a high energy spark??  BTW I have not
checked out sparks on others cars yet.  Was going to do that before
writing this letter but what the heck, the question was opened.

Dave Simpson
NE Ohio
61 TR3B
76 spitfire