Re: Wood Dash Selection

To: JoeSimcoe@aol.com
Subject: Re: Wood Dash Selection
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 07:05:09 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
JoeSimcoe@aol.com wrote:

> Scott,
>
> I realize your frustration with the dash.  However after I bought a dash for
> my 250 I pulled some old college photos showing my wifes ORIGINAL owner tr6
> and to be honest the new dash from TRF does resemble it fairly accurately.
>
> There is a place in california that makes dashes, they sent me pic's once of
> all the "fancy" stuff they do.  Told me that they supplied the standard stuff
> to TRF Moss etc.  ALSO told me that the dash you get is not what you remember
> because the color will change once the dash is exposed to UV light.  All of
> ours have colored over time because of this.
>
> I have contemplated laying mine out for "sunning" prior to installation, but
> haven't yet.
>
> If you want the address for the place in CA let me know, I dont' have it here
> but do at the office.
>
> JoeSimcoe

Joe:

Yes, I'd appreciate the address and phone number of the place in CA.
Will also pick up the most recent Hemmings since I recall that they
have a number of dealers who specialize in dashes.

I  struggled over the very idea that you mentioned regarding the wood
changing its colour over time and if the darker walnut was just a
function of its newness. I have some experience working with wood,
especially refinishing old/antique furniture. The patina which is much
desired in aged wood tends to darken the wood, not lighten the wood.
Also, a well finished piece of veneer will not have that much change
in its graining and there clearly is a totally different grain
presence in the new dash. For those of you woundering why I don't
just refinish the dash, the DPO just about destroyed the  veneer around
the glove box. Seems the only way to get the door opened was to use a
crowbar!

It might be a function of the type of stain being used on the
dash from the original ones. One option might be to see if the
manufacturer would be willing to sell an unfinished rough cut dash and
then I could stain it to match the colour I am seeking and do my own
finish? May give it a try.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6