RE: Positive Camber Problem

To: "Vic Whitmore" <vicwhit@octonline.com> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Positive Camber Problem
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 18 Jul 1997 08:37:16 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0869833CF8DAC004-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 18 Jul 1997 08:37:16 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 18 Jul 1997 08:37:16 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0869833CF8DAC004*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Vic Whitmore wrote:

[snip] If you recall my previous posting, I have a 76 Spitfire with a
positive camber problem in the front end. I can only guess at the degrees
(10?) but the top of the tire is out 3/4 inch from the bottom. It has the
two standard shims on the lower A arm mounts.[snip]
+++++++++++++++++++++
Vic - there is no "standard" number of shims.  Every car is different.
They came from the factory that way.  I think it would be a mistake to
assume that 2 shims is the proper number unless the front end has never
been touched before.
+++++++++++++++++++++
[snip]I started on the front left and found that there is no shim on the
inner tower mount. If there was, I could have removed it to decrease the
camber. I added 1/4 inch shim to the lower A-arm mounts and re-assembled.
Wow! Look at that toe-in. I wasn't expecting this new problem but the
camber is reduced to probably 1/4 inch (top of tire out
from bottom). Maybe another 1/8 would do the trick. I'm not sure that
this is the right way to proceed. The added 1/4 inch is way more than
normal and 3/8 inch would be even further out in left field and even
more toe-in. Ideas anyone?
+++++++++++++++++++++
Vic - have you confirmed that the frame is straight first?  Sorry for
asking what may seem like an obvious question, but is it possible the frame
rails in the front could be torqued down and out?

As to the toe in, I seem to recall on my Spitfire that there are shims at
both the front and back lower A-arm brackets, thus, by adding shims to the
front brackets you could reduce the toe-in to a point where an alignment
shop could get it all set up.
+++++++++++++++++++++++
[snip] I removed the shock during this process and it seems to be original
with this lettering on it: Made in England 217589 F08524X 18E28. The shock
is blue and the spring is black. The collar that forms the bottom mount for
the spring has "Goodhead Mfg Co" on it. When the wheel is on the ground,
there is travel both upward and downward (the shock is not at the end of
travel). The lower A-arm rests at a slighly downward angle  (about 15
degrees?). The car seems slightly front end high but I've been told this is
normal for Spits.
+++++++++++++++
Sounds about right.  My Spit has a "very" slight rise from rear to front.
Looks fine actually, but compared to modern cars, it could be interpreted
as a "nose high" ride.
Ross D. Vincenti
Asst. General Counsel/Asst. Sec'ty.
Transamerica Home Loan - Legal Division