Re: Positive Camber Problem

To: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Subject: Re: Positive Camber Problem
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 20:09:51 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>My 76 Spitfire has a severe case of positive camber. The top of the tire
>is leaning out further than the bottom of the tire. Using a level as a
>rough measure, the top leans out about 3/4" over the bottom. Thats the
>way the car has been since I bought it (classic auto auction) and I
>don't know the previous owner.

Just went and studied my engineless 74 parts Spitfire.  Even without the engine
on the
front, it's only cambered out roughly 1/4" or so.  Therefore, I really don't
think the
degree of postive camber you've got is due to overstrong/long springs lifting
the car
too high.

Since the engine was out, it was easy to really study the suspension and
mounts.

So what did I see that could hold the top arms out too far?
1.  If the frame mount is shimed under the engine that would push the upper arm
out.
Wouldn't take much of a shim to do this either.  Much to my surprise, this
whole frame
looking piece is not welded in place, but is bolted on instead.
2.  Slotted holes where the upper a-arm bolts into the frame mount.  They
aren't
normally slotted, but if they were modified this could cause problems.
3.  A-arms that are too long.  Don't know of any that would fit and be too
long, but I
suppose all things are possible.  Didn't measure mine, but I will if you want.
4.  Bent hub assembly.  Can't imagine anyone wanting to do this, but if you
actually
heated the hub assembly, you could bend it and get positive (or negative)
camber that
way.
5.  Bent frame.  It wouldn't be normal to have a frame bent this way, but if
the
crossmember up front is bowed up in the middle, or the frame rails don't appear
perfectly flat, that's a good indication.

What could cause the bottom to be tucked in?
1.  Bent or shortened lower arms.  Didn't measure mine.  They should be nice
and
straight though.
2.  Trunion installed backwards.  The hub assembly should be outside of the
arm.  If it
was installed backwards, it sure would tuck the bottom in.  Though I don't see
how the
shock could properly be installed.
3.  Caved in frame.  This is pretty obvious on a visual.

I would also *strongly* advise you to locate another Spitfire to get yours
beside to
compare things, hood up.  Even a junkyard Spitfire if that's the only way.  But
a side
by side comparison at this point would be invaluable for you.  Let me know if
there's
anything I can do to help.