Re: Tire Opinions Please

To: "Childs, David" <dchilds@lawson.epri.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Opinions Please
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 01:42:11 -0500
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Childs, David wrote:

> It is time for new rubber on the 79 Spit.
> I am looking at a few different ones.
>
> Potenza re900
> Michelin X Metric
> Firestone Firehawk FTX
>
> Others????
>
> I am thinking of a few different sizes...
> 175/70/13
> 185/70/13
> Are there any thoughts as to size?
> For now I will be running stock rims (4.5").
>
> Dave C
> 79 Spit
> 75 Spit (parts)
Dave,
You may have a little bit of trouble with mounting 70 series tire on the
narrow stock rims.  I beleive that the minimum rim width for these tires
is a 5 inch with a preferrence for 5.5 or 6 inch rims.  This allows the
tread to set on the road the way the tires were designed.  It will
affect your handling and braking because the tires will be pinched at
the bead area, and inhibitting the flexing of the side walls.

But as always this is JMO.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4