RE: Tire Opinions Please

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Tire Opinions Please
From: Eric Rupert <eric@rpm.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 14:58:12 -0400
I have a '66 MK2 and I installed 185/70 13's.  They were too big and scrubbed
the firewall when turning the wheel.  I am not sure how much the frame has
changed so I don't know if you can put 185's on.  I went back to a 165/70 13
and it handles just fine.  The car is very light so alot of tire is not
necessary.  Also, larger tires mean larger rolling diameter which throws off
your speedometer and can contribute to lower performance off the line.
 However, larger diameter means that the engine turns less at highway,
something I was concerned about with an old 4-speed.

(BTW - if you decide on 185', I have a nice set for cheap in my shed, about
1000 or less miles on them).  Don't know what the shipping implications are.