Re: Stripped hub studs

To: Joe Merone <jmerone@vtetv.org>
Subject: Re: Stripped hub studs
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:39:24 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe Merone wrote:

        [snip]

>  On the way home from work last night he
> decided to throw a shoe in the manner described above. The stripped
> out studs let go and so did the left rear wheel hub, tire, and axle.
> Luckily I was just pulling away from a light in first gear and only
> going 2 mph. No tire, body, or structural damage is noticed except for
> the dust cover for the hub got chewed up a little while it spun in the
> trailing arm. The only embarrassing part was the tow on the flat bed
> home with the tire cambered out about 45 degrees. It wouldn't roll off
> the truck so we had to push and slide it like a stubborn mule.
>
> It looks like a heli-coil kit to the rescue tonight. 5/16" right guys?
>
> Joe Merone
> CF 18929

Joe:

5/16" fine thread is correct!  Been there, done that just last weekend
after a similar experience. Outer stub axle in my hub snapped while
cruising along at 30 mph. 2 of 6 studs on right rear were stripped when
I went to replace hub assembly.

I'd suggest you replace the studs on the other side while at it, since
it is quick & easy to do.

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6 (driver)
1970 Spitfire (under the knife)