VTR Nationals

Subject: VTR Nationals
From: Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:29:45 -0500
I have to add my own two cents on this thread...

I am the president of the Red River Triumph Club, and we have all kinds
of cars in the club.  We welcome each and every one of them, from basket
case to banger to daily driver to racer to concours car to trailer
queen.  What most of you are losing sight of here is that the VTR is
formed in appreciation of TRIUMPHS.  Period.  Who cares what Joe Blow
does with his time and fat wallet?  You do what you like with your car
and let him do what he wants.  I think there are awards a-plenty for all
classes, and now with new classes adding for "Modified Prepared" and
discussion about other types of awards, nobody will really be left out.
If concours is too much for your daily banger, earn an award in
autocross or other driving event instead!  We all have our strong points
-- while mine is not beauty or poise :) I am strong in many other areas,
such as personality.  Likewise with our cars.  My 1968 was nowhere near
concours shape (non-original and no time to clean it up right for the
1997 National) but I took first in class at the autocross and I am just
as proud of that trophy (if not more, since it took my skill and effort
to win it, too) as one I might have won at Concours.

There should be more discussion about possibly adding different classes
to the National judging  classifications, but I don't want to hear any
more trailer-queen, racer, or daily driver bashing.  This is all about
TRIUMPHS, and the drivers are being used and maintained (read not left
to rot in a field), the racers are being used for a specific purpose and
maintained (read not left to rot in a field), and the trailer queens are
restored and maintained (read not left to rot in a field).  Purists can
argue the issue all they like -- I am in it for the cars, no matter what
form (except rotting in a field -- I try to get those out and running or
at least salvage useful parts).  I hope you realize that's what it's all
about.

Keep Triumphing,
Susan Hensley   %)
"Purist?  I don't have the money to be a purist!"