TR6 trailing arm repair

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 trailing arm repair
From: ybullet@flash.net (Steve L. Toth)
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 23:14:12 -0500
Tom,

   Thanks for your concern.

>It just reminded me, that of all the TR-6 and 250 cars that I have had
>the rear hub assemblies out of (all 4 !) I have found at least one of
>those six studs to be stripped out of the aluminum, and on one car,
>Three out of the six were stripped.

>The stripped holes in the swing-arm should be repaired with a Heli-coil insert,
>to avoid re-tapping to a larger size, with the problems that would
>bring up, it seems to me.

   Actually Tom, I have found a better idea.  I spoke with Dave from
Crossroads in Pennsylvania, during the VTR Banquet.

   Between his information and my experience in the Aerospace/Aircraft
industry, I have decided to use inserts.  A company named Keensert makes
these beauties.

   They are installed in a similar fashion as the helicoils, but once they
are inserted into the tapped hole, a tool is used to press them in a bit
further, in turn allowing four "barbs" to grip onto the aluminum trailing
arm.

   Helicoils can work themselves out the same way these studs came out.
This is not the way to go, especially if you have a "unique" driving style
like mine!

   I'll keep the list informed on the process of installing the inserts and
also the progress of the car repair.

   BTW, it seems that the rear left section of the frame is a bit bent and
the front end is out of alignment.  I have been assured by the repair shop,
(German Technology, Inc.) that the repair is possible.

   Thanks for your concern.

                                                Steve