Re: TR6 trailing arm repair

To: "Steve L. Toth" <ybullet@flash.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 trailing arm repair
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 00:01:08 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Steve L. Toth wrote:

> Justin wrote:
>
> >I second the notion of  using inserts instead of helicoils...  but what
> >I'd like to know...  from someone who's really in-the-know... would it
> >be wise to just go ahead and install inserts on the whole arm?  Or
> >should it be only done on those that are obviously damaged or suspect?
> >I guess, in other words, is an insert better than no insert, in this
> >application?
>
>    Justin,
>
>    Yes, all should be replaced.  If not, those studs that haven't been
> replaced will be stressed.  I plan on replacing all 12.  (6 per side).

While I appreciate your reply... could you sorta back that with with an
explanation of your experience or training, etc...

Your response doesn't really address the issue... if the orginal stud is
still firmly in place... how would it be more "stressed" just because
you replaced a couple damaged ones?

If steel inserts are so good... should EVERYONE with a car that has some
aluminum suspension pieces... should they remove studs and put in the
inserts?  And if this is the case... was this NOT done by the relative
factories? simply because it would be more expensive?

I want to undertand the engineering factors involved with this
procedure.

Justin
jmwagner@greenheart.com
http://www.greenheart.com/jmwagner