Re: Cooked Spitfire Engine

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cooked Spitfire Engine
From: Spitfire15@prodigy.com ( CHRISTOPHER J REILLY)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:29:57, -0500
-- [ From: old chris * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Michael;

From: Barry Schwartz           \ Internet:    (bschwartz@encad.com)

*************************
>It's been my experience when welding any thermally stressed part that
has cracked from such stress, it will just end up cracking again, at
exactly the same spot.  Even when done properly, heating the item, using
the proper welding rod, etc.
*************************
>Since a repair to my existing engine looks impossible, I have access to
>another 1500 engine and transmission out of a MG Midget (I think)

Just my 2 cents worth, I actually am currently Autocrossing a Spitfire
1500 with a cracked block !
The cracks on mine are between the distributor and fuel pump hole
halfway up the block.

I would try a quick fix if you want to run it a bit longer ... I found
that a product called JB WELD
worked on my block.  You first need to thoroughly degrease and scruff up
the area around the crack and then apply the JB WELD liberally.  Once it
sets up you should be able to run it that way in some cases
indefinitely.  I had to refresh my patch this year when a pinhole leak
appeared, but it has held fine since then.  I just am trying to get one
more season from the motor ( which runs great other than the crack ) and
then will fix it right.

Good luck
Chris in Utah
'78 Spitfire ( Autocrosser sponsored by JB WELD !! )