Re: Cooked Spitfire Engine

To: "M.A.Thomas" <mathomas@novice.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: Cooked Spitfire Engine
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 14:47:52 -0400
Cc: triumph <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
M.A.Thomas wrote:
> Any conceivable way of welding up the block (FM3xxxx)?

  From what I hear, I will comment that the crack isn't likely
to stay welded up.

  From my own personal experience, I will add that depending on
where the crack is, it will be very likely that the top of
the block will be warped during the welding operation. It
doesn't take much.

  I had a 1500 block that was welded up from a thrown rod. The
weld looked high quality, and the engine ran. But it would blow
a head gasket every few hundred miles and is now scrap. The reason
was that the top of the block was not level.

  Once you get into machining the top of the block, it becomes a
fairly large job and just as easy to replace and be sure.

> Since a repair to my existing engine looks impossible, I have access to
> another 1500 engine and transmission out of a MG Midget (I think).

  If it's from a Midget, the engine is fine but the transmission
isn't quite what you are looking for. The MG transmission is
a Morris-derived box. It can probably be made to fit, but it's
not going to be a bolt in and it is probably easier to source
a spit tranny.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada