ZS air filter mystery

To: "'Triumphs@autox.team.net'" <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: ZS air filter mystery
From: "Childs, David" <dchilds@lawson.epri.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:00:45 -0400
First, I must thank the List for all the input I have received
over the past few months.

Second, I will give you another puzzler.
I just replaced my stock air filter on my 79 Spit (ZS carb).  Now
the car will not run properly above 3000 RPMs.  Here is what
I did trying to understand the problem.  I checked float to jet
clearance
as best I could.  That was OK.  The I installed a new jet (the one with
the
ball barring).  No change.  I have adjusted the A/F ratio as best I can,
maximizing idle speed.  Here is the kicker.  It will run fine at 5000
RPMs
when the car is not moving.  As soon as I get it on the road I can't get
any
power out of it.  It just coughs and gags above 3000 RPMs.
So after all of the fiddling and adjusting I went back to the old filter
and it works.
Also it will run with the new filter, if I pull out the choke.  This
tells me that
the car needs to be oxygen starved to run.  WHY?????  Here are a few
more details that may be somehow related.  I do not have any charcoal
canisters hooked up.  The pipes coming out of the carb have been
plugged.
I am missing a screw at the top of my automatic choke.  I have found
that if
I put the screw in place the car will not start.  All the car will do is
flood.
HELP????

Dave C
79 Spit (should be gasping for air)