Re: ZS air filter mystery

To: zink@pdq.net, dchilds@lawson.epri.com
Subject: Re: ZS air filter mystery
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 16:22:46 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-07-23 16:08:39 EDT, zink@pdq.net (Zink) writes:

> Won't pull past 2500 rpm, starts to crap out like its starving
>  for fuel and misfiring.  Okay you fuel system gurus, I also installed
>  new K&N filter charger air cleaners.

Larry & Dave:

I had a very similar problem with my TR6 after I replaced the stock filters
with after market filter units (don't remember the brand). Each filter came
with an identical gasket (or so I thought), blue on one side, and gray on the
other. I held one gasket up to a carb to determine which way to install it. I
determined the gray side went out, and put both gaskets on the same way. The
car would run ok at low speeds, but pooped out severely at normal road speed.
Turns out the gaskets were punched the opposite of each other -  gray side
out on one, and blue side out on the other. One hole in the carb with the
reversed gasket was blocked by the gasket. Turned the gasket around, and the
problem cleared right up.

This may not be your problem, but it is worth looking into. At least one
other person on this list found the same problem with their carb/gasket
setup.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74