Re: ZS air filter mystery

To: "Childs, David" <dchilds@lawson.epri.com>
Subject: Re: ZS air filter mystery
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:17:00 -0400
Cc: "'Triumphs@autox.team.net'" <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Childs, David wrote:
> I just replaced my stock air filter on my 79 Spit (ZS carb).  Now
> the car will not run properly above 3000 RPMs.

  If you drastically change the intake airstream on these cars,
you will have to fiddle with tuning and likely needles to get
them to run properly again.

> Also it will run with the new filter, if I pull out the choke.  This
> tells me that the car needs to be oxygen starved to run.  WHY?????

  It's getting more air than it thinks it should be getting. Or
more accurately, it's tuned beleiving that the filter-side of the
carb will have a larger vacuum than it does in your new setup.

  The restriction of the original intake system created this
vacuum, your free-flowing filter lessens it. The choke puts
a bit of it back.

  Be careful pushing the car when it's running the way it is,
it's probably running very lean and this is not a healthy
way to run an engine for a long period of time at high
loads.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada