Re: TR6 Keys / Locks

To: ewcorco@erenj.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Keys / Locks
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 07:20:49 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
ewcorco@erenj.com wrote:

> Could someone with an original TR6 give me some information about the
> manner that the keys and locks were set up originally for the car?  My 1971
> currently has a separate key for each door, the trunk, and the ignition -
> is this the work of the PO (likely)?
>
> If so, does anyone have any info as to where I could find a set of correct
> locks and keys for the car.  Thanks in advance for any info.
>
> Ned Corcoran
> 1971 TR6

Ned:

I have a '70 TR6 (Comm No CC 51904 L). No, this is not correct for the
keys (the work of a penny pinching DPO who probably had spares or
replaced each lock as it went bad seperately). If my recall is right,
which it isn't all the time, the early TR6s came with two keys: the
ignition key also works the door locks and a second key for the trunk
lock and glove box (I pulled my original owner's manual and verified
this).

What I did with my locks since I was working with three keys is buy a
new set of locks which use the same key for the glove box, doors, and
trunk, thus going back to two keys. Although not a big fan of VB, they
carry these and have worked fine.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6