[Fwd: Re: TR6 radio/speaker installation?]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: TR6 radio/speaker installation?]
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:59:02 -0700
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:55:32 -0700
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
To: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 radio/speaker installation?

I've been following this thread with interest and all of this concern
about "butchering" a counsole has amused me. I've had my TR-6 for 25
years and for most of that time have purchased radio/tape players that
fit the existing cut-outs from 8 track on down the line. My TR is a daily
driver - 300,000 miles and going strong - and I am a real music lover. A
real part of the pleasure I derive from driving my machine, to which I am
now joined at the hip, is cruising down a winding california backroad
with John Mayal (Californiia) or Miles Davis or Crosby Stills and Nash or
any one of dozens of others jamming and crooning in time to the curves
and scenery. I like quality sound and the old low power FM/tape combos
just did'nt cut it. The newer Sony, Panasonic etc CD's coupled with four
Infinity speakers on the other hand please my ear to no end. My 85 Jag is
so equipped.

So when it came time to repalce the radio after a interior rebuild I cut
the counsel to fit a new CD without hesitation. I would hardly call the
result a butcher job - it looks and sounds great. Green illumination to
match the dash lights and sound I can actually hear at highway speeds
with the top down. Speakers mounted in center counsole panels modeled
after the original but made from 1/8" plywood covered with thin foam pad
and vinyl matched to the rest of the interior (available at good
upholstery shops). Rear speakers mounted in rear panel for 25 years - no
problems - easy installation and great bass response.

Criticize if you will, but my object is to keep the TR on the road for as
long as I am able to drive it and thorughly enjoy myself all the while. I
doubt that I will ever sell it and even if I did I'm sure I can fabricate
a plate which would allow installation of an old style knob radio that
would be indistinguisable from original without taking the dash apart.
Though why anyone would want to do that is beyond me.

My two cents. Don't sweat the small stuff. Cut the counsole, install a
prime CD and drive the road singing at the top of your lungs.
(Adapt for your state)

        Don't want to leave California
        So many good things abound
        Don't want to leave California
        Sun seems to never go down

Deano ecopaige Paige

73 TR-6
85 XJ-6
Can't get enough of that unmistakable British Style