[Fwd: Re: TR6 radio/speaker installation?]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: TR6 radio/speaker installation?]
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 15:09:26 -0700
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 14:54:30 -0700
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
To: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 radio/speaker installation?

Theodore R. Stevens wrote:

> Thanks for the positive message!  I guess it's easy to lose sight of the
> fact that the whole reason for these cars is to drive and enjoy them.  I'm
> not an originality fanatic by any means (have spin-on adapter on order, and
> want to put in halogen lights and some creature comforts) but am a little
> hesitant to change things I can't put back.
>
> Did you have any clearance problems between rear panel and gas tank when
> you installed the rear speakers?  Is your unit an in-dash CD player, or
> does it use a remote changer?  I ask because it looks like it would be a
> tight squeeze to get a disc in front of the gear-change lever.
>
> I'll let the list know what I end up doing.  It might be a while--having
> too much fun driving!
>
> ----------
> > From: Dean C. Paige <ecopaige@metro.net>
> > To: Theodore R. Stevens <stevens@erols.com>
> > Subject: Re: TR6 radio/speaker installation?
> > Date: Friday, July 25, 1997 2:55 PM
> >
> > I've been following this thread with interest and all of this concern
> > about "butchering" a counsole has amused me. I've had my TR-6 for 25
> > years and for most of that time have purchased radio/tape players that
> > fit the existing cut-outs from 8 track on down the line. My TR is a daily
>
> > driver - 300,000 miles and going strong - and I am a real music lover. A
> > real part of the pleasure I derive from driving my machine, to which I am
>
> > now joined at the hip, is cruising down a winding california backroad
> > with John Mayal (Californiia) or Miles Davis or Crosby Stills and Nash or
>
> > any one of dozens of others jamming and crooning in time to the curves
> > and scenery. I like quality sound and the old low power FM/tape combos
> > just did'nt cut it. The newer Sony, Panasonic etc CD's coupled with four
> > Infinity speakers on the other hand please my ear to no end. My 85 Jag is
>
> > so equipped.
> >
> > So when it came time to repalce the radio after a interior rebuild I cut
> > the counsel to fit a new CD without hesitation. I would hardly call the
> > result a butcher job - it looks and sounds great. Green illumination to
> > match the dash lights and sound I can actually hear at highway speeds
> > with the top down. Speakers mounted in center counsole panels modeled
> > after the original but made from 1/8" plywood covered with thin foam pad
> > and vinyl matched to the rest of the interior (available at good
> > upholstery shops). Rear speakers mounted in rear panel for 25 years - no
> > problems - easy installation and great bass response.
> >
> > Criticize if you will, but my object is to keep the TR on the road for as
>
> > long as I am able to drive it and thorughly enjoy myself all the while. I
>
> > doubt that I will ever sell it and even if I did I'm sure I can fabricate
>
> > a plate which would allow installation of an old style knob radio that
> > would be indistinguisable from original without taking the dash apart.
> > Though why anyone would want to do that is beyond me.

> [...]

Ted,

Minor mod needed in rear panel installation. You'll need bout a half inch
firring strip between the panel and the body at the top
(provides clearance for tank). I solved the problem on a TR-4a I owned
more quickly with a rubber mallet with which I slightly dented the tank
in the appropriate positions. I'm in less of a hurry now. The Panasonic
deck I installed is built in and there is no problem with clearance with
the shifter. A disc will even go in in first gear although I'm mostly too
busy upshifting to be inserting a disc in the low gears anyway. As an
aside I have an extensive cassette collection and the Panasonic has a
auxilliary jack on the front which I can plug a walkman into should I
want to hear something I don't have on disc.

Happy motoring.

Deano