Re: [Fwd: Re: TR6 radio/speaker installation?]

To: JoeSimcoe@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: TR6 radio/speaker installation?]
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:55:57 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
JoeSimcoe@aol.com wrote:

> Dean Paige added to the thread -
>
> <<So when it came time to repalce the radio after a interior rebuild I cut
> the counsel to fit a new CD without hesitation. I would hardly call the
> result a butcher job>>
>
> Dean - and all:
>
> I believe the gist of this is that these consoles, to present anyway are not
> being reproduced.  What we have is all we have.  to that end there is some
> trepidation when one alters these from the original state.  It is this reason
> that most will caution against "butchering" a console.
>
> Also, don't forget that these are structural members, believe it or not.
>  Designed, I believe (if wrong I imagine I'll be corrected) to compensate for
> the forces which try to twist the frame and body under load.
>
> JoeSimcoe
> Baton Rouge (see I do read some of the various posts)
>
> 74 TR6
> Tr250

I well understood the sentiments expressed, while not necessarily
agreeing. My point is the console in my TR-6 has not disappeared, I will
not be out tommorow coveting after someone elses. I still have my own.
Further I object to the term "butchering". I did not butcher the console.
I modified it by cutting less then 2 sq. in. of material from around the
two radio shaft holes to  accomodate the CD deck.  Structural
integrity remains.

The original configuration was not designed to accept the latest in audio
technology and more importantly the majority of the modern units will not
fit period in the original. I cosidered my options and felt there were
too many compromises to hassle with alternative solutions. I realize
there is a subset of the TR family that considers any modifications of
this nature as sacrilege. I just feel that this mindset tends to be just
too too pc at times. For those who demand originality go with the
original installation equipment but if it's like the original
installation in my car (monoral am and fm) or even my first replacement 8
track good luck hearing anything over the airwaves above an idle.

Can't go back to 8 track

Deano