Cylinder Wall Scoring---1972 TR-6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cylinder Wall Scoring---1972 TR-6
From: Bristol7@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 22:01:24 -0400 (EDT)
l came upon a rather distrurbing sight today. I removed the cylinder head off
the
the block several weeks ago. While cleaning up the block deck I rotated the
crank and found a pronounced (deep) score on the cylinder sleeve of  No.4
Cylinder liner. It runs north/south on the cylinder liner and is about 5
inches in length. It does stop short of the top of the cylinder liner by
approx.2.5 inches.
The rest of the cylinders and cam followers (tappets?) are in good shape --
no
damage. The right thing to do is pull the block and rebuild the lower end,
however
I need to put a new roof on the house. Should I park the old girl and wait or
do
I potentially incur greater damage (money/time) by putting her back together
and having a mid-summer fling with her?. No swarf in the oil pan--I have a
magnetic
plug and it's clean. It likely happened a while ago, but I'm worried what may
be
lurking in there. Compression has been a constant 152-155 lbs for the last 7
years. Any advice is appreciated. Best Regards, Kirk Yonker