Re: Re[2]: TR6 "J" type o/d rear oil seal

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re[2]: TR6 "J" type o/d rear oil seal
From: jhdavis6@juno.com (James H. Davis, Jr.)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 19:48:51 -0400
Hey Murry!
Thanks for the info. I have replaced the rear o/d seal using the method
you describe, and the leak remains the same. The leak is definitely
coming from the rear seal. It was a real bear to get the new seal in
because the driveshaft cover is in the way. Something else must be amiss.
I'm thinking maybe there is a gouge in the o/d case I didn't notice and
oil is seeping by, or the flange is scored. I'll look closely at the
above before I pull the tranny.
I use Castrol hypoy C 80-90w, which is GL5. If I ever get this leak
fixed, I'll probably convert to synthetic.
I ordered a new stainless system from Moss also, along with a new front
bumper for $185. That's cheeper than I could get one re-chromed.
Naturally, the order taker at Moss didn't know anything about the quality
or originality of the bumper, so it may not be an OEM item. Offered TRF
the Moss price because I try to help them when I can, but they declined
saying the don't meet others' sale prices. I guess they aren't as hungry
as I thought.
Thanks for the response,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA