TR4 rear suspension knock

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4 rear suspension knock
From: "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 15:42:49 EST
Comments: Authenticated sender is <dmericas@limno.com>
Well now that I have the engine back together (and running fine, I
must add), a new gremlin has appeared in the TR4.

I have a knock that occurs in the right rear quadrant of the car
whenever I go over any sort of rough pavement, which is most of the
time here in the land of frost-heaved roads.  It sort of sounds like
a single tap from a light hammer on the frame near the outboard side
of the passenger seat.  I have looked all around under the car and
can't find anything that is obviously loose (checked the exhaust,
wheel bearings, shock links, etc.).

About the only thing that I can think of is a bad leaf spring
bushing, although I replaced them about 5 years ago.  There is some
evidence of deterioration from what I can see around the perimeter
of the bushing.  I may, in my pre-triumphs list ignorance,  have used
a petroleum grease while installing these bushings.

Before I tear the spring out, does anyone have any other suggestions
as to what may be causing this sound.

Thanks.
Dean Mericas
1965 TR4 (CT37089L)