Zenith-Stromberg mixture adjustment

Subject: Zenith-Stromberg mixture adjustment
From: "Atwell Haines" <Carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 97 18:39:43 PDT
Hello Carburetor Mavens,

I need advice on trying to adjust the mixture on the stock ZS carb on my 79
Spitfire.

I have done a carb rebuild using the kit from Moss.  I cleaned everything, and
was careful not to disturb any of the adjustments, especially the bypass valve
and temperature compensator.

Car runs fine, but has a very rich idle.   I'm not finding a ready answer in
the Haynes Weber Carb Manual.

Plugs are black & sooty, but not fouled with anything. Fine idle mixture screw
(the one that the manual sez can be screwed in all the way in on used engines)
produces best idle when about one turn out, but the mixture is still rich
enough to make the Cataytic Converter glow cherry red after about 2 minutes of
idling.

Before I muck with the stock needle adjustment via the tool thru the damper,
how can I baseline this thing without getting lost?   Or do I need to get a CO2
analyser before proceeding?

Boy that red-hot Cat is frightening.   At least if my headlights go out, I'll
be able to see my way. :-0.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire FM96062 (ready to melt)
'88 Lotus Esprit