Re: GM alternator

To: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Subject: Re: GM alternator
From: "John L. Walker" <up497@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 19:25:11 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Joe Worsley wrote:

> If I remember there is a way to bypass the internal regulator in the
> alternator by shorting out a terminal through the case.  I don't have my

ARrrr, now I remember... yes, there's a way to do that.  The tab is very
hard to get at but it's there.  I had to rebuild the alternator in my
Chevette and now I remember.  Unfortunately I can't find the Haynes book
for my chevette right now, all I have is the Clymer, which is no help.

For those curious, and if memory serves me, the tab in question is on the
terminals of the brush assembly, generally opposite of the diodes.  You
can see the heatsinks of the diodes through the back of the alternator.
Hole for probe is about 1/4" dia. or less (?)

-Malcolm

    Too many rocks and not enough sand.