GM alternator

To: The Collective Wisdoms <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: GM alternator
From: "John L. Walker" <up497@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 17:46:52 -0700 (PDT)
I have a Delco-Remy alternator in my TR4.  Ammeter shows I am not
charging system.  Battery is flat.  Owner is tired.

The brown/green wire is connected between terminal 'f' (2?) and a
positive feed (fuse block).  I'm aware that this is the field and is
required for the alternator to charge.

brown/yellow is attached to brown/white and brown/blue.  (near fuse
block) and to the 'bat' terminal on alternator.  Seems good.

There is nothing on the other spade lug in the unit (labeled 'r' or
'1').  Does anyone know what this lug does?  Is it for the 'idiot light'?

Is there any way I can reliably test the alternator, in or out of car?
The nearest mechanic is 30km away.

-Malcolm

    Too many rocks and not enough sand.