Re: GM alternator

To: "John L. Walker" <up497@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: GM alternator
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 19:07:28 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
John L. Walker wrote:

> I have a Delco-Remy alternator in my TR4.  Ammeter shows I am not
> charging system.  Battery is flat.  Owner is tired.
>
> The brown/green wire is connected between terminal 'f' (2?) and a
> positive feed (fuse block).  I'm aware that this is the field and is
> required for the alternator to charge.
>
> brown/yellow is attached to brown/white and brown/blue.  (near fuse
> block) and to the 'bat' terminal on alternator.  Seems good.
>
> There is nothing on the other spade lug in the unit (labeled 'r' or
> '1').  Does anyone know what this lug does?  Is it for the 'idiot light'?
>
> Is there any way I can reliably test the alternator, in or out of car?
> The nearest mechanic is 30km away.
>
> -Malcolm
>
>     Too many rocks and not enough sand.

John,

If I remember there is a way to bypass the internal regulator in the
alternator by shorting out a terminal through the case.  I don't have my
books anymore (dumb me - gave the old gm service manual away).  Maybe
someone on the list will respond. I believe the other terminal is the
light.  If you have field voltage and a battery connected to it you
should get output if it's ok. Try the bypass if someone responds.  About
the only other thing is the diodes or brushes.

Joe Worsley
80 TR8
72 TR6
Tupelo, MS USA