Re: Back to LBC's...Z-S

To: tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: Back to LBC's...Z-S
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 97 15:39:04 PDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Trevor Boicey wrote:
        >Shane F. Ingate wrote:
        >       > I find that the emissions control stuff
        >       > clutter the engine bay, and add a degree of complexity to the
car
        >       > that is out of character with our simple-yet-rugged TRs.

        > How can it be out of character if that is the way they
        >came from the dealer?

I'll buy that.  I'd like my TR6 in the same fettle as
British/Australian TR6s were delivered, thank you very much.  Now
which hose do I rip off first?  They ran well without all the
emissions gear in Blimey and Oz, did they not, or were they rough idling pigs?

I'm not advocating wholesale removal of the emissions gear.  Indeed,
I agree with you and that we should think a little about what the
emissions gear is doing.  In some cases, there are modern upgrades
for the engine which not only improves performance, under-hood
appearance, but provides a cleaner environment as well.  Eg, modern EI
systems, mechanical advance distributors, etc.

My question about EGR goes unanswered.  I know a little of the theory,
in that the EGR valve allows a little of the exhaust gasses from
cylinder #5 to cycle back into the intake manifold.  The resulting
mixture then burns rather cooly, reducing I believe NOX and I believe
CO2 (Is that right guys and gals?).  The cool combustion
chamber temperature of coures means less hp.  When the EGR valve
fails, your engine will idle roughly, overheat, ping and lose mucho
hp.  Your engine then gets really dirty emissions!

Have you priced a replacement BL EGR valve lately?  Actually, have you
seen a replacement BL EGR lately?  Rare as hens teeth if you can find
one, and just as expensive.

So for those folk who have a bad EGR valve, should they continue
with their bad valve (and rough idle, pinging, overheating, loss of
hp and high emissions) or should they take it off, and return the car
to its "original" (read "as designed for the British and non-American
markets) form?  It may even run a little cleaner, too.

You are right, Trevor, we should think carefully about the emissions
systems on our cars.  And then make an informed decision as to what
value they provide today.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego