Re: Help with '70 Spit, Smog II

To: ctschmitz@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Subject: Re: Help with '70 Spit, Smog II
From: Hugh Barber <piglet@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 18:06:58 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tom,

My very first car was a valencia blue 1970 Spitfire Mk3.  The car was
completely stock (when I bought it).  It came with two SU carbs.  I think
that they phased them out during the middle of the 1970 Mk3 production (but
all '69 Mk3s had them).
Sorry, but I only have a couple of pictures of her (I sold her 18 years ago
- I was getting married and we had the spit and a '73 GT-6) and all of
those are external shots - nothing of the engine bay.  I remember that it
had two SUs, the infamous Smith's "PCV" valve, and wire mesh "pancake" air
filters. On the Smog Check issue - I've had so-called mechanics tell me
that my fuel filler is non-conforming because its bigger than the
"unleaded" test pipe (My TR is a '73 and originally used leaded premium).
My advise in those instances is to go to the referee station, then file a
complaint with the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair regarding the mechanic's
(in)competance.

Hugh Barber
Santa Clara, CA
'73 TR-6