'78 Spit - My Shoes Don't Fit (?)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '78 Spit - My Shoes Don't Fit (?)
From: Les Francis <lesf@metronet.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 18:05:48 -0500
OK.  I guess it's technically the drum, not the shoes.  I replaced the wheel
cylinders, associated hardware, and some brake line.  Got the drums turned
(even tho they "looked" smooth).  Now I can't get the drums back on!

The brake adjuster is all the way closed (that is, the two parts are fully
together).  The hand brake is not re-connected yet.  The piston in the wheel
cylinder appears to be fully "in".  Using a rubber mallet all I can seem to
do is begin to shave off some of the shoe surface.

Is this the norm?  I recall a recent post about this with the writer stating
he had to pretty much chew up the new shoes to refit the drum.  There was
speculation in one reply that possibly the replacement drums are thicker
than as originally manufactured to allow for drums that have been turned
several times.  I thought that's what the adjuster was for - to insure full
contact regardless of shoe thickness.

Thanks for any guidance.

Les Francis
lesf@metronet.com