Re: Compression testing question

To: jim barbuscia <jim.barbuscia@West.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: Compression testing question
From: "Brian W. Neuschwander" <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 17:57:06 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
jim barbuscia wrote:

>  I have a question (IHAQ) .
>  What is the best way to do a compression test?

One important step in the compression testing that is not being
mentioned by list members is to hold the throttle WIDE OPEN so full gulp
of air can be sucked into the cylinder being tested.

I always pull all plugs so engine will rotate with the starter at the
highest possible speed.  I have never heard of only removing one plug at
a time.  Could be in an authoritative book somewhere, though.

In any case, log your data in your shop manual and always do your
periodic testing in the same way.  Otherwise your comparisons will not
be of much value.
--
Brian W. Neuschwander
Beach City Gas Station