TR6 Coolant Leak from Block

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Coolant Leak from Block
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 21:41:11 -0700
My wife and I helped some old friends move into their new
house today and I took the '70 TR6 to show them (he drove
a spit all during high school, mid 70's, so he was very
jealous!). Anyway, as they are admiring the car, their
9 year old son proudly states that their is water leaking
from under the car.

One look and it is coolant. No problem, just pop the bonnet
and see which hose blew. Well, all the hoses were in tack
and the amount of coolant coming from under the car didn't
support major leak (enough to be noticed but not a torrent).

Started car back up to see if we could find the problem and
low and behold, there is a small stream of coolant comming
from the bottom rear of the engine block. I have not gotten
the car up on jacks (just getting a new cement floor poured
in the garage this week) so my observations are purely from
peering under the car. It appears to be comming right
at the center bolt from where the enging block and bell housing
connect (?) and is not running down the block. I still drove the car
and no signs of overheating and the amount of lost coolant was
not enough to warrant putting more fluid in the resevour (bottle
was still 1/3 full at the end of the travels). About 5 minutes after
stopping the car, the stream of coolant stopped, I assume due to lack
of preasure.

Before I get the car up on jacks next weekend, any thoughts.
Only gasket in the TRf catelog which might go here is the
rear seal housing and engine block, but I thought this was
for the oil seal? Possibly try tightening the bolt located
at the point of leak?

Thanks for your thoughts on how to proceed.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6