Re: TR6 Coolant Leak from Block

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Coolant Leak from Block
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 97 11:08:29 PDT
Cc: suhring@lancnews.infi.net
Scott,
        I agree with Bob Wanta, it sounds like a freeze-plug.  Unfortunately,
this $1.37 brass part, if located at the rear of the engine, does mean
an engine-out job.  But once out, they are easy to replace; just pull it
out and tap the new one in gently.
        There are several other plugs located around the block.  I would
suggest replacing them too at this stage.  Although they can be replaced with
the engine in the car, it is a lot easier when the engine is out!
        The cooling system is under pressure, so "sealing" the leak externally
will probably not work.  The need to replace the other plugs is because they
are probably the same age as the rear plug, and will prpbably fail soon.
        What is a freeze-plug?  When the block is bored for various galleries,
it leaves a hole in the side of the block.  The freeze-plugs just fill 'em in.
        Shane Ingate in San Diego