Re: TR6 Coolant Leak from Block

To: Bob Wanta <bobsauto@iconn.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Coolant Leak from Block
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 06:58:55 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bob Wanta wrote:

>  Hi Scott
>     It sounds like a freeze out plug has gone away.  They are located on the
> back of the head and on the block just above the bell housing bolts.  The
> best way to change them is to pull the engine.  Take care -  Bob
>     P.S.  Until you repair the leak, refill the engine coolant through the
> thermostat opening in the top of the head before driving the car each time
> otherwise you'll fry the rear cylinders because of the air bubble in the
> back of the engine that the leak is causing.

Bob:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not familiar with a "freeze out plug".
Could
you give me some more information such as what it does, how repair, etc.
can't seem to find a reference to it in the TRF catalog or Bently.
To repair, what part(s) would I need and if it requires to take
the engine out, I'll need to have my mecanic do the job. Can I try
sealing the seem where the coolant is leaking or is this just going to
force
the coolant to leak or go somewhere else it is not supposed to.

As to filling the coolant through the thermostat opening each time I
drive, I
assume this means removing the thermostat cover and thermostat
and pouring in new coolant or liquid until it caps off to the top or
just below
where the thermostat goes?

Thanks again.