Re: TR6 Coolant Leak from Block

To: Bob Wanta <bobsauto@iconn.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Coolant Leak from Block
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 20:47:41 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bob Wanta wrote:

>  Hi Scott,
>     Freeze out plugs (core plugs) are steel cup shaped plugs.  If the
> coolant ever freezes to ice they are designed to pop out relieving the
> pressure on the block so it doesn't crack.
>     There are 1 or 2 in the back of the head and 1 just below the head in
> the back of the block, 4 more along the exhaust side of the block behind the
> heater bypass tube, 1 by the distributor, 1 by the alternator, and 2 under
> the front plate near the water pump.
>     After so many years they rust or corrode (due to reactions with old
> antifreeze) and start to leak.
>     I haven't seen any type of sealant that will stop the leak once it
> starts because of the cooling system pressure.
>     You should be able to buy a full set of plugs (individually at a Napa
> store etc.) for under $10.
>     You normally drill a small hole in them, attach a slide hammer, and yank
> to get them out.
>
>     You assumed correctly as to filling the engine.  Also, as you drive the
> coolant will still leak causing the air bubble - so don't go any farther
> than it takes to lose 2 qts of coolant, maximum.
>
> Good luck - Bob
>
> Bob:

Thanks for the clarification. Will try some Bars Leaks, a cooling
system lubricant and leak sealer (highly recommended to lubricate
water pump and will seal leaks) as a temporary "fix". Will assess
best way to approach repair for the permanent fix.

Again, thanks for the info.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6