Re: Gas Fumes

To: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Fumes
From: George Leicht <glite@eos.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 13:02:36 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Vincenti, Ross wrote:

> Like others, I have recently noticed gas fumes - here are the details: <snip>
> Fumes are noticeable while
> driving (!) with top down at moderately high speeds (50 to 60 mph), and NOT
> noticeable at idle or at lower speeds.  The only change in recent time was
> the addition of a pair of K&N airfilters to the twin SU carbs.  Is it
> possible I am smelling the gas as a result of the filters' better breathing
> capabilities?

Same problem with my TR6.  The gasket on the gas cap was leaking.  As a
test, put a few folds of paper towel over the filler hole then close the
cap.  If no gas smell at speed, replace the gasket.  (or just make the
paper towel pad smaller so it hids under the cap because I'm too lazy to
get a new gasket)

george leicht
glite@eos.net TR3, TR6 - some jag stuff.