Re: Oil pan weekend

To: Jeff Arrowsmith <jarrow@dlcwest.com>
Subject: Re: Oil pan weekend
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 22:36:13 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jeff Arrowsmith wrote:

> >Am I missing out on a big secret here ?
> >
> >So, needless to say, I haven't completed the thrustwasher installation
> >yet.  Haven't measured precisely the end-float as of yet either, will
> >complete both this week.  Did however, bleed the clutch system, and have
> >orderd the rebuild kits from Moss yesterday, so I can complete both of
> >those this week, which will help complete diagnosis of problem.
> >
> >Insight welcome and sought after !
> >
> >Carol Zingone
>
> Carol..........try using a big rubber mallet/hammer. Give the sucker a
> couple of good whacks on the side.

Jeff (and Carol)--

As Carol has said she's whacked it with a cloth-covered hammer already,
so it's likely that a previous rebuilder (uh, `scuze me, amateur
rebuilder) has applied liberal doses of a hardening sealer (Indian Head,
Permatex hardening, etc.) to both sides of the gasket retaining the pan.
If one is upset with the car (especially a car named Sybill),
carefully-placed charges of dynamite would be the chosen tool. <g>
Failing that, I would recommend going to the nearest auto parts store
and asking for a gasket removal tool. Fairly cheap, and is about an inch
to an inch and a quarter wide, very flat, with a shallow chisel end.
Cheap enough and thin enough to be hammered between pan and block every
couple of inches until the sealer yells uncle.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....