Re: Oil pan weekend

To: Carol Zingone <JRHoffman@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Oil pan weekend
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 20:28:07 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Carol Zingone wrote:

> Listers,

> Tried using hammer with head wrapped in rags to move it.  No luck.
> (Did tap all around, tho, and didn't hear any bits of metal)
>
> Am I missing out on a big secret here ?

> Insight welcome and sought after !
>
> Carol Zingone
> 74 TR6 -- Sybill (under the knife)
Carol: sounds like someone used a hardening sealer last time around.
Anyway, my most useful tools in this situation are a big hard rubber
mallet, or a wood block. The rubber mallet will let you get in some real
good wacks without denting anything. If you don't have one, a short
chunk of 2X4 against the flange of the pan will cushion the blows from a
regular hammer. Be paitent! Once you get it budge, the rest comes loose
much easier. Be sure to clean all of the old crud off the pan and block
before putting on the new gasket.