Re: Torque on prop & drive shaft bolts (TR6)

To: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: Torque on prop & drive shaft bolts (TR6)
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 11:06:44 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
DUHART JOHN wrote:

>         I also ordered a set of the special drive-shaft bolts
> from TRF.  I though they would be grade 5 or better.  After
> looking at the bolts I called TRF to ask what was special about
> them so I could determine which of the bolts I had needed replacing.

> I was told these bolts are not grade 5 or better.  What makes them
> special seems to be that the bolts isn't threaded all the way down
> to the head, so that it fits tight in the whole in the yoke (correct
> term?).

That's right.  Using a fully-threaded bolt will tend to round
out the holes in the yoke over time, due both to the fact that
it doesn't fit quite so tight, and also since the threads are
pretty sharp.  I've seen this problem on a used diff/axle I was
looking to buy.

--ken

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com