RE: UNLEADED FUEL IN PI CARS

To: bullobc@vtxix.slg.eds.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: UNLEADED FUEL IN PI CARS
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 08:24:46 -0700
I been reading a lot of literature about this question.  Most sources,
including the Lucas PI manual, indicate that lead is needed for lubricating
the shuttle inside the metering unit.  The clearance between the shuttle
and the metering unit body are quite small and the lead is needed to keep
the wear to a minimum.

Now having said that, I know of one PI owner who uses unleaded without any
problems - at least up until I last talked to him about a year ago.  No
idea of how many miles he has driven using unleaded.

I will pass this question by my LBC mechanic in England and get his
thoughts.

Dave
San Diego
1970 RHD PI TR6, CP51649