TR6 Electrical Wiring

To: Triumphs <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Electrical Wiring
From: ebachman <ebachman@fuse.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 15:13:53 -0700
I just rebuilt the engine on a '73 TR6 and have some wiring questions.
I have 'misplaced' the notes I took when dismantling and the Haynes
manual wiring diagram is not much help.

I have two wires going to the solenoid on the starter.  The heavy wire
runs from the ignition switch to the upper terminal on the solenoid.
The second wire is a smaller gauge, white with a brown or yellow
tracer.  I cannot find on the wiring diagram this wire and where the
other end terminates.  When I put a meter on this wire, I have an
electrical connection to ground, even when points are open and the
distributor is disconnected.   I have a similar size and color wire
breaking out of the harness by the alternator and from my recollection
goes to the same terminal of the coil as the points wire from the
distributor.  The other terminal of the coil has a brown wire running to
it.  Of course, the wiring diagram only shows two wires to the coil.

Can anyone clear up 1) where the second wire on the soleniod runs to and
2) are there three wires running to the coil and if so, where do the
wires that do not terminate at the distributor run to.  One of them runs
to the fuse block across from a pair of green wires.