Re: TR6 Fuel Leak

To: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Fuel Leak
From: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 22:56:27 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mark,

        Having leaks from carbs is a symptom from several causes. One
is an old O-ring. Another is that is floats are not adjusted. Another
is that the floats are adjusted, but the valves don't shut the fuel off
entirely. Another cause, which I have never verified, is that TR6's leak
whan the tank is more than 1/2 full. My TR6 has never leaked even on
a full tank. But I have had the dreaded carb leak problem. For me, it
was badly adjusted floats.

        Jeff N.
>----------
>> From: Mark_Simon@MSN.COM <Mark_Simon@msn.com>
>> To: vtr@autox.team.net
>> Subject: TR6 Fuel Leak
>> Date: Friday, September 05, 1997 8:16 PM
>>
>> Dear VTR,
>>
>> I am the proud owner of a fully restored 1974 TR6. The car is beautiful,
>> complete and a lot of fun to drive (of course only when it is clear out).
>

>> I have a problem that I thought someone at VTR  may be able to help me
>with.
>> During this recent season I have found that the carburetors are both
>leaking
>> apparently from the bottom o-ring seal area. I was told by another
>enthusiast
>> that these o-rings dry out and that is what causes the fuel to leak when
>the
>> engine is cold. Since this is my symptom (it does not leak while driving
>or
>> when the engine is warm) I have removed the lower housings and replaced
>the
>> o-ring and the gasket and it is still leaking on both carbs.
>>
>> DO you have any ideas on what could be causing this ??
>>
>> THX,
>>
>> Mark Simon
>> Mark_Simon@MSN.COM

Jeff C. Nathanson
Director of Product Development
Manufacturing Systems & Technologies, Inc.