TR6 ballast wire/motor not running

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 ballast wire/motor not running
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 97 10:26:21 PDT
All,

Finished my dash/under-dash restoration this weekend.  With all
the help from the list, it looks FABULOUS!

However the bubble burst when I tried to start the engine (after
double-checking everything was tight):

        1) Engine starts when ignition key is turned to "start"
        2) Engine fails when ignition key is turned to "run"
        3) Stock coil is receiving 12V when ignition key is turned to "start"
        4) Coil is receiving 1.5V when ignition key is turned to "run"
           (it should be around 9V).
        5) When ignition key is in "run" position, the ballast wire gets
           very hot - too hot to touch.  I guess this is where my voltage
           is going.

Car is a 74 TR6, with a DPO bodged seat-belt interlock system.  I've studied
the wiring diagram and cannot figure out why the ballast wire is
getting hot.  I figure I've done something wrong when hooking up the
dash, but what?  The harness from the ignition switch fits into a
connector so is presumably idiot proof.

Any ideas folks?  Rags has been off the road for 8 weeks and I'm
desparate to drive!

Then only thing I can think of is that I incorrectly wired up the
seat-belt interlock.  Is there a way I can disable this thing
permanently and remove it from the car?

        Shane Ingate in San Diego