Re: TR6 ballast wire/motor not running

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 ballast wire/motor not running
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 97 09:52:06 PDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Dan Masters wrote:
        [snip]
        > I think you just have a bad resistance wire. To find out,
        > temporarily connect a wire from the + lead of the coil to any
convenient
        > White wire, leaving all other wires intact. Try the car. If it runs,
the
        > resistance wire is bad. If the resistance wire gets hot when you do
this, i
        > is shorted, but I don't think so...
        [snip]

Thanks for the tip.  I was going to try this as I have a Lucas Sports coil
(non-ballasted) awaiting installation, but wanted to sort out this problem
first!

Assuming it is the ballast lead that has gone bad (and several other listers
have suggested this - thank you!), I would like first to replace it ans
see if it really is my problem.  My question is; where does the ballast
wire go?  It dissapears into the wiring harness and I cannot find the other end!
If I could find the other end, I could easily check the resistance and see if it
matches the spec.  Does anyone know the resistance of the ballast wire?

        Thanks again,

        Shane Ingate in San Diego