Re: TR6 ballast wire/motor not running

To: ingate@shiseis.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 ballast wire/motor not running
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 22:20:32 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-08 13:31:45 EDT, ingate@shiseis.com writes:

> Then only thing I can think of is that I incorrectly wired up the
>  seat-belt interlock.  Is there a way I can disable this thing
>  permanently and remove it from the car?

Shane:

I don't think you caused the problem by mis-connecting the seat belt
interlock. I think you just have a bad resistance wire. To find out,
temporarily connect a wire from the + lead of the coil to any convenient
White wire, leaving all other wires intact. Try the car. If it runs, the
resistance wire is bad. If the resistance wire gets hot when you do this, it
is shorted, but I don't think so (I'm assuming no other wire gets hot with
the ignition key in the run position?).

You can run the car this way for a while, but it will be hard on the points
and the coil. Sooner or later, you will need to replace the resister or get a
non-ballast coil.

As for the seat belt interlock, removing it couldn't be simpler. Just unplug
it, and then connect the White/Red wire to the White/Orange wire. Be careful
where you place the plug, because the Purple and the White wires are still
hot.

Let me know if this works. If not, I'll scratch my head for another solution.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74