Re: (Fwd) TR6 Questions

To: amurray@MR.Net, alvine@tth.net
Subject: Re: (Fwd) TR6 Questions
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:56:53 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
amurray@MR.Net wrote:

> I own a 1970 Triumph TR6.  The color is similar Canary
> Yellow.  It is a very nice looking car with overdrive.
>  I enjoy driving it around but have two problems:

Andrew,

  First off, welcome to the Triumphs mailing list!  I, too,
enjoy driving my 1970 TR6, and have at least two problems
as well -- mine are different ones, though!  Anyway, on
to helping fix yours...

>   1.  I still am unsure how to properly take the top down and
> how to fold it properly.  Everytime I take it down I wear holes
> in the top on each side. I purchased a new top and now pull the
> top back so that it lies on the trunk.  I then just fold it once
> in so that it sits behind the seats.

The way you are now folding the top is the "correct" way.
A description of how to do this is in the TR6 owners
manual.  If you don't have the owners manual (the little
one that goes in the glovebox) you can buy one from the
major parts vendors (TRF, Moss, VB), or simply buy the
Bentley Repair Manual, which has a reprint of the owners
manual at the beginning.

>  The problem is when I start driving on the interstate it blows
> up and starts flapping.  My question is what is the proper way
> to take and fold the hood when driving with the top down;

Do you have the "soft top stowage cover" for covering the folded
top and frame when the soft top is in the down position?  This
cover snaps on to the top and edges of the cockpit, to keep the
folded-down top looking neat.  It also keeps it from flapping,
when installed with all the snaps (there are four snaps down
in the cockpit, two right next to the rear edge of the door, and
two on the rear cockpit panel.)  If you don't have this cover,
or don't have the snaps attached in the cockpit, that is your
problem.

>  2.  The car orginally was allowed to rust pretty bad.  I
> replaced not repaired all the panels.  I even welding parts of
> the frame so reduce vibration.  However, my car still tends to
> vibrate allot.  Is this common for these vehicles or is it
> just my vehicle.

These cars do vibrate a lot.  However, with patience and time,
a properly rebuilt car will not vibrate excessively (at least
not squeak / chatter / etc.) even with only the stock fender
mountings, etc.

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers